Thermal Lancing uses a consumable burning bar for cutting and boring stubborn materials. Once ignited the thermal lance will melt almost any material by thermo-chemical reaction. Due to its simplicity in use and basic equipment requirements it makes the Thermal Lance a versatile and cost-effective tool.
The Lance is a steel pipe packed with mixed metal wires. Pure oxygen gas is passed through the pipe from an oxygen cylinder and regulator. The end of the pipe is lit with a high temperature source, e.g. an oxyacetylene torch. The iron in the steel burns in the oxygen coming down the pipe to produce enormous heat and a liquid slag of iron oxides and other materials. The temperature reached in the centre of the combustion zone is approx. 4000 degrees Celsius, greater than the melting point of any substance on earth. By the way of comparison, concrete melts at 1800 - 2500 degrees Celsius and steel at less than 1500 degrees Celsius.
A Thermal Lance is capable of cutting through:
- All ferrous and non-ferrous metals
- Refractory materials such as linings and bricks
- Concrete or rock structures
Its main uses are for severing reinforced concrete, salvage, demolition, repair and maintenance across a range of industries and are ideal for:
- Demolition and decommissioning work
- Cutting and severing reinforced concrete
- Cutting steel piles
- Cutting and boring quarried stone
- General scrap handling and salvage
- Opening tap holes
- Removing aluminium hard sports
- Ingot case cutting
- Ladle and tundish nozzle cleaning
- Slag and refractory material cutting
- Burning/Flushing solidified steel plugs in bores
- Clearing solidified spillages
Our Thermal Lancing services include:
- Cutting large steel beams in demolition and renovation
- Cutting mixed or laminated materials
- Cutting large objects for scrap
- Removing worn or seized pins in earthmoving equipment
- General maintenance applications
Advantages of using Thermal Lancing as opposed to conventional cutting methods and techniques is the speed at which it works. The equipment is simple and easy to operate, quiet and vibration free, and the capital costs are negligible in comparison to drills etc.
If you are interested in learning more about our Thermal Lancing services, please contact our friendly team.